New limited-time offer. The refreshed American Express Gold Card is trying to get back to its former glory as a status card with some new perks. Right, there is a limited-time offer boost. Here are the highlights:
- 60,000 Membership Rewards points when you make $4,000 in purchases within the first 6 months. (Previous bonus was 35k.)
- Up to $120 in annual dining credit at Grubhub, Seamless, and more. Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. Enrollment required.
- $100 airline fee credit. Select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $100 per calendar year in statement credits towards incidental fees charged by the airline to your AmEx Gold card. Examples are checked baggage fees and inflight meals.
- 4X points at at restaurants worldwide.
- 4X points at US supermarkets, on up to $25,000 per year.
- 3X points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- $250 annual fee. Additional cards (authorized users) are free.
Note the following:
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card or the Premier Rewards Gold Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
The application will tell you if they detect that you are not eligible for the bonus based on their records.
Membership Rewards points can be converted to the following airline and hotel programs (there are more, this is just a selection):
- Delta SkyMiles
- Hawaiian Airlines
- ANA Mileage Club (partner of United Airlines)
- Air Canada (partner of United Airlines)
- British Airways (partner of American Airlines)
- FlyingBlue (Air France/KLM)
- Singapore Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Choice Privileges
- Hilton Honors
- Marriott Rewards (Starwood)
You can also transfer to gift cards many retailers at varying rates, but many available at the rate of 10,000 MR points = $100 gift card. My most common redemption is a $100 Home Depot card for 10,000 points, sometimes less when they run special discount. However, don’t expect the cash-equivalent prepaid credit cards at that rate, it’s usually closer to a 0.6 cent/point ratio.
Rough bonus math. I’m going to be conservative and value the 60,000 Membership Rewards points at $600. (There are a lot of mileage transfer bonuses so you could value them much higher.) The $120 food delivery credits at Grubhub/Seamless are easy to use in the current environment. The $100 airline fee credit will depend on how much you travel, but remember you can get it once per calendar year. Minus the $250 annual fee. If you can take full advantage of the credits, the net first year value is $570 without taking into account the 4X and 3X bonus categories.
Bottom line. The new American Express Gold Card has a bunch of new features more targeted at the young, urban traveler including up to $120 in Grubhub and Seamless credits and $100 in airline fee credits. As you can only get the bonus once, the best time to apply is during a limited-time offer (like now) at 60,000 membership rewards points.
“The editorial content here is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone. This email may contain links through which we are compensated when you click on or are approved for offers.”
Copyright © 2019 MyMoneyBlog.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not re-syndicate without permission.
SOURCE: My Money Blog – Read entire story here.