- China Stocks Slump Most in Three Weeks on Valuation Concerns.
- China’s Record $30 Billion Bond Defaults Seen Rising This Year.
- WHO Set to Begin China Trip; Malaysia Lockdown: Virus Update
- As Polar Vortex Stirs, Deep Freeze Threatens U.S. and Europe.
- Morgan Stanley Abandons Weak Dollar Call on Shift in U.S. Rates.
- Asia Stocks Mixed After U.S. Drop; Dollar Steady: Markets Wrap.
- Oil Steady Near $52 With IEA Signaling Possible U.S. Shale Boost.
- China Trade War Win, Biden’s Trillions, Hot Planet GDP: Eco Day.
- Trump and Pence Signal President Won’t Resign or Be Removed.
- Former Democratic Leader Daschle Warns Against Trump Impeachment.
- Trump Issues Emergency Declaration for Event: Inaugural Update.
- Verizon Teams Up With UPS to Deliver Packages With 5G Drones.
- Democrats to Introduce Bill to Ban Federal Death Penalty.
- Parler Sues Amazon Over Removal From Servers After Protest.
- Fed Officials See Strong U.S. Rebound, Fanning Talk of Taper.
- PayPal Blocks Website That Helped Send Protesters to Capitol.
- U.S. Stocks Finish Lower on New Risks.
- House Plans Impeachment Vote on Trump for Wednesday.
- Why I’m Taking a Social-Media Sabbatical.
- National Guard Bolsters D.C. Troop Levels to at Least 10,000.
- More Companies Halt Political Donations.
- TikTok, Discord Are the New Wall Street Trading Desks.
- January Virus Surge Keeps School Schedules in Flux.
- Cuomo’s tone on COVID lockdowns shifts in big way.
- Why one ex-White House press secretary believes Big Tech’s attempts to cancel Trump will backfire.
- Bill Belichick declines to accept Medal of Freedom, citing riots.
- Germany And France ‘Shocked’ Over Twitter Decision To Ban Trump.
- The COVID Depression And “Food Insecurity”.
- Supreme Court To Take A Second Look At Case Involving “Insider Trading” On Government Healthcare Tip.
- Air Force Brass Order Removal Of All Offensive, Non-Inclusive Patches, Mottos And Emblems.
- Socialists Claim Their System Is Morally Superior. They’re Wrong!
- Taibbi: We Need A New Media System.
- Goldman Warns Of “Short Term Indigestion” In Stocks, Expects European Double-Dip On Mutant Virus Surge.
- “Very Incriminating”: Hacker Archives Every Deleted Parler Post.
- WHO Warns Herd Immunity Won’t Bring World “Back To Normal” Quickly.
- LA Converts Dodgers Stadium To Vaccination Center As 3 California Gorillas Test Positive For COVID.
- A Nursing Home Had Zero COVID Deaths. Then, It Vaccinates Residents And The Deaths Begin.
- The “Crisis” Is Corporate Liberal Authoritarianism.
- Bitcoin Bloodbaths, Big-Tech Battered As Buck Bounce-Back Builds.
- DISSENT IS NOT ALLOWED: Twitter Will No Longer Allow Any Questioning of Fraudulent Election …Updated.
- WARNING: DO NOT ATTEND Armed Protests at State Capitols Before Inauguration! – POSSIBLE SINISTER PLOT HATCHED BY RADICAL LEFT TO TAKE AWAY GUN RIGHTS!
- Texas Lawmakers Consider Secession Over Life Under Democrat Marxism — Several States Interested in Movement (Video).
- Pelosi and Schumer Accused Trump of Turning DC Into ‘Oppressive Militarized Zone’ After Antifa and Black Lives Matter Insurrectionists Torched City, Tried to Storm White House Last Year.
- Democrats Are Drafting Legislation to Criminalize Trump Rallies — Classify Them as “Domestic Terrorism”.
- ‘A Terrorist is a Terrorist’ – Democrat House Homeland Security Chair Wants GOP Senators Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley on Federal No-Fly List (AUDIO).
- Sick Of Communist-Like Censorship? Here’s A List Of Popular Uncensored Media Options.
- Biden Mocked Trump for ‘Hiding in His Bunker’ After Antifa and Black Lives Matter Insurrectionists Tried to Storm the White House Last Year, Injuring Dozens of Cops.
- North Idaho Internet Provider Stands Up to Big Tech, Blocks Facebook and Twitter on its Service For Some Customers.
- As President Trump Attempts to Protect the US from Foreign Entities – Democrats, Big Tech, Big Media and Big Finance Are Aligning with These Entities Against President Trump.
- Investigator of China’s Forced Organ Harvesting Wins First Global Humanitarian Leader Award.
- China Develops Helmets for Soldiers With Self-Destruct Button: Report.
- Chinese City Bracing for Dire COVID-19 Surge During Lunar New Year: Leaked Documents.
- Serious allegations of misconduct in the 2020 elections have resulted in unprecedented legal action to ensure our elections are — and remain — free and fair. Find out where we’re exposing fraud and how you can help.
- Asian equity indices are -.75% to +.25% on average.
- Asia Ex-Japan Investment Grade CDS Index 60.75 +3.75 basis points.
- China Sovereign CDS 30.0 +.25 basis point.
- Bloomberg Emerging Markets Currency Index 62.0 -.08%.
- Bloomberg Global Risk-On/Risk Off Index 1,963.0 +60.0 points.
- Volatility Index(VIX) futures 25.9 -1.05%.
- FTSE 100 futures -.03%.
- S&P 500 futures +.03%.
- NASDAQ 100 futures +.08%.
Morning Preview Links
Earnings of Note
- Small Business Optimism for Dec. is estimated to fall to 100.2 versus 101.4 in Nov.
- JOLTS Job Openings for Nov. is estimated to fall to 6400 versus 6652 in Oct .
- None of note
- The Fed’s Brainard speaking, UK Trade Balance report, $38B 10Y T-Note auction, US weekly retail sales reports, UBS Infrastructure/Energy Conference, JPMorgan Tech/Auto Forum at CES and the Goldman Tech/Internet Conference could also impact trading today.
- 9:30 am – 4:00 pm EST
BOTTOM LINE: Asian indices are mostly lower, weighed down by technology and consumer shares in the region. I expect US stocks to open mixed and to weaken into the afternoon, finishing modestly lower. The Portfolio is 50% net long heading into the day.
SOURCE: BETWEEN THE HEDGES – Read entire story here.