(Check AmEx again to see if eligible again for this new round. Might also want to check if you have Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou, or Discover cash back. Note that Amazon links may not show up on RSS/email, please visit the website.)
If you have an American Express card with Membership Rewards (MR) points, you can redeem them to buy eligible items at Amazon.com. The redemption rate is 1 MR points = 0.7 cents to spend at Amazon, which unfortunately is less than a cent per point and thus not really the ideal use of MR points. (My base redemption is 1 cent per point minimum toward any Delta flight.) However, here are targeted promotions where you can save money after redeeming just 1 single MR point (a penny’s worth). (To see the link, you may need to visit this page on the internet if viewing this via e-mail or RSS.)
- Get 10% to 40% off (max discount) or $10 off $100 (or similar), valid on items shipped and sold by Amazon. Must redeem at least 1 Membership Rewards point. You may be eligible even if you’ve done similar promos before.
Here are some additional tips:
- If you haven’t linked yet, you can link your Membership Rewards points balance to your Amazon account here.
- If you have already linked your cards and aren’t targeted, you may consider removing your American Express card from your account completely, and then linking it again after a day, and then checking the offer page(s) again after another day.
- Items must be marked as both sold AND shipped by Amazon.com.
- Be sure to select your American Express as your payment method and redeem at least 1 point or $0.01 in value of Membership Rewards points.
- Savings should be reflected on the final order checkout page, before you commit to purchase.
This is a recurring perk for existing American Express cardholders, which is why one of my two “keeper” consumer American Express cards is the Amex EveryDay Card (keeps my Membership Rewards points active with no annual fee, helps qualify for various Amazon promotions). The other is the Blue Cash Preferred from AmEx (6% cash back on US supermarkets, up to $6,000 annually).
You can also earn and keep Membership Rewards points active with a small business card. My favorite business American Express card is the Blue Business Plus Card – Earn 2X Membership Rewards points on all purchases, of up to $50,000/year. There is also the Blue Business Cash Card that earns a flat 2% cash back on up to $50,000 in purchases each year. Both have no annual fee.
“The editorial content here is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone. This email may contain links through which we are compensated when you click on or are approved for offers.”
Copyright © 2004-2021 MyMoneyBlog.com. All Rights Reserved. Do not re-syndicate without permission.
SOURCE: My Money Blog – Read entire story here.